Sunday, August 14, 2016

2016 Topps Chrome jumbo box

Sport:  Baseball
Product:  2016 Topps Chrome jumbo box
Break Date:  August 13, 2016
Hit Breakdown:  Five autographs
Summary:  I really had no intentions of dipping my toe into the Topps Chrome pond in 2016. My son had picked up some of the regular Topps, and I thought the design was a complete mess. But, after seeing some of the breaks, I figured I'd pick up a blaster.

After opening that, my tune changed - the Chrome-ified version of the base cards looked really, really nice, and my son really dug the inserts, so we figured we'd build those sets. Rather than buy a bunch of blasters, I figured on National Baseball Card day, we'd head to the store to pick up a jumbo box. Plus, I was due to hit SOMETHING nice since I feel like I've been on a bit of a cold streak.

So, we headed home with a jumbo box in hand. My son also grabbed a pack of 15/16 Prizm basketball that he opened in the car - he hit a Karl-Anthony Towns RC and a Ruby Wave /350 Carmelo, so we were already off to a good start.

After splitting the packs up, we got to breaking. While the box was relatively short on color, we hit a bunch of inserts we needed, and the ones we hit that we already had were the kind you're cool with having more than one of (Trout, Harper, etc.)

The autos with Chrome are always going to be hit or miss - the breaks I've seen have by and large had something gigantic (i.e. a Correa auto), or have been absolute duds. The autos in this break fell somewhere in the middle, which I consider a win.

The first auto we hit was Tyler Duffy. No clue who that is, but a quick look at his stats shows he certainly isn't lighting the world on fire this year.

Then, my son hit the second auto - a Kyle Schwarber. As a Cardinals fan I'm not a Schwarber fan, but I can certainly respect him as a ballplayer. I'll always remember that absolute bomb he hit off the Cards in the NLDS, and that's the kind of auto you're stoked to pull out of any box.

The final three autos were nothing to write home about - Mac Williamson, Trayce Thompson, and Tyler White - the latter being a refractor. White seems like he's got some decent power, and at least it's a refractor.

Overall, I really like Chrome a lot more than I thought I would, and this was a good break. We hit a lot of cool inserts, and while I'd liked to have hit a huge, colored auto, Schwarber is a great one to get if it's a base version. 

Grade for the product:  A
Grade for the break:  A

Refractor Autographs /499:  Tyler White
Autographs:  Kyle Schwarber, Trayce Thompson, Tyler Duffy, Mac Williamson
Blue Refractor /150:  Buster Posey
Purple Refractor /275:  Jorge Lopez
Perspectives:  Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Adrian Gonzalez, Troy Tulowitzki, Yadier Molina, Mark Teixiera
Youth Impact:  Corey Seager, Aaron Nola, Kenta Maeda
Future Stars:  Byron Buxton, Jacob DeGrom, Blake Swihart, Jorge Soler
First Pitch:  Evelyn Jones, Levar Burton
Prism Refractor:  Matt Harvey, Matt Kemp, Matt Carpenter, Yasiel Puig, Paul Goldschmidt, Zack Greinke
Refractor:  Carlos Gomez, Cole Hamels, Carlos Carrasco, Brett Gardner, Hunter Pence, Eric Hosmer, Ross Stripling (RC), Carlos Ruiz, Wade Davis, Brian Johnson (RC), Rougned Odor, Kyle Schwarber



No comments:

Post a Comment