Thursday, September 4, 2014

2014 Topps Chrome hobby box #3

Sport:  Baseball
Product:  2014 Topps Chrome hobby box
Break Date:  August 31, 2014
Hit Breakdown:  Two autographs
Summary:  After the second box from my first two boxes of '14 Topps Chrome got me zero percent closer to completing the set due to it being 100% refractors, I figured I'd step into the batter's box and take one more swing.

This time, at least I got a bit closer (down to needing 98 of 220), and was happier with the overall box.

For starters, it wasn't all base autos - at least there was a numbered auto in there - still no big names, but I'll take a parallel.

After three boxes, I'm kinda digging the colored refractors more than the autos anyway - probably a byproduct of getting 6 autos and no one I really care that much about.

So, getting two numbered cards was nice, and the black Paul Goldschmidt's a sharp looking card. The blue Xander Bogaerts may turn out to be a sweet card as well...had I pulled it 12 months ago it'd be a lot nicer, but his season has been pretty awful. But, he's still young.

Oddly enough, of the five inserts I pulled, three I had pulled out of the other two boxes - and I pulled the two '89 parallels (McCutchen and Hamilton) out of the box together in the first break. 

Topping it off a fairly solid box was a Topps Shelf Adam Wainwright for my PC and a Jose Abreu refractor rookie.

Definitely the best of the three boxes, and I'll probably get sucked into one more before I try to finish the set card by card through trades.   

Grade for the product:  B+
Grade for the break:  B+

Rookie Autographs Refractor /499:  Ethan Smith
Rookie Autographs:  David Holmberg
Black Refractor /100:  Paul Goldschmidt
Blue Refractor /199:  Xander Bogaerts (RC)
Topps Shelf:  Adam Wainwright
Chrome Connections:  Paul Goldschmidt, David Wright
'89 Chrome:  Andrew McCutchen, Billy Hamilton
Xfractor:  Clayton Kershaw, Grady Sizemore, Carl Crawford, one other (can't recall)
Refractor:  Jose Abreu (RC) + others



No comments:

Post a Comment