Friday, August 29, 2014

2014 Topps Chrome hobby box x 2

Sport:  Baseball
Product:  2014 Topps Chrome hobby box
Break Date:  August 29, 2014
Hit Breakdown:  Two autographs
Summary:  Retail therapy's a real thing, or so they say. I've had a rough week due to some family (pet) issues, so when we called it a day at work early because of the holiday weekend, I headed to the LCS and picked up a couple of boxes from a fresh case of Topps Chrome.

After opening the pair, I'm still not sure how I feel about them!

With two autos guaranteed per box, I had high hopes of at least landing one that I could keep for the PC. It wasn't meant to be on that front.

But, the first box yielded a nice card for my Cardinals PC in the form of a gold refractor Matt Adams. It also had a cool Mike Trout Connections card.

I also have nothing but good things to say about the Topps Shelf subset - it's one of the nicer insert sets I've seen in a while, and the first box had a Masahiro Tanaka. 

However, the autos - meh...Jonathan Schoop and Abraham Almonte.

And then, there's the second box. Where do I even start?

I unwrap the thing, and stack the packs. The first pack I open, I immediately notice that there are not one, but TWO refractors in it, along with the first autograph. And then I notice that the fourth card's a refractor as well.

Yep, a refractor hot box. EVERY single card (except the autos, sadly) were refractors.

To be honest, not even sure what to do with this thing. I guess maybe put the refractor set together? 

Honestly, it was a bit of a downer in a way - there was not suspense to opening a box and searching for hits when every card in the box is a hit. It's cool in a way, but at the same time anti-climactic. 

To make it "worse," the autos were no one I was stoked for, the only numbered cards was a blue Nolan Arenado, and none of the inserts really blew my skirt up. At least there was a Jose Abreu and Masahiro Tanaka refractor in there.

So, weird break. Hot box? Cool, and uncool at the same time.

My gut is to give this one a B, for the suspense killer. 

Grade for the product:  B+
Grade for the break:  B

Rookie Autographs:  Jonathan Schoop, Abraham Almonte
Gold Refractor /50:  Matt Adams
Topps Shelf:  Masahiro Tanaka
Chrome Connections:  Mike Trout, Felix Hernandez
'89 Chrome:  Andrew McCutchen, Billy Hamilton
Xfractor:  Nolan Arenado, Anthony Rizzo, Eric Hosmer, Hiroki Kuroda, 
Refractor:  Matt Kemp, Chris Colabello, Everth Cabrera, Jake Marisnick (RC), Ian Kinsler, Stephen Strasburg, Jered Weaver, Michael Choice (RC)




Rookie Autographs:  Nick Martinez, Aaron Sanchez
Blue Refractor /199:  Nolan Arenado
Topps Shelf:  Carlos Gonzalez
Chrome Connections:  David Wright, Yu Darvish
'89 Chrome:  Ryan Braun, Nick Castellanos
Xfractor:  Cole Hamels, Starlin Castro, Freddie Freeman, Adam Jones, 
Refractor:  Umm....all of them?






No comments:

Post a Comment