Thursday, August 6, 2015

2014-15 Panini Excalibur Basketball retail box

Sport:  Basketball
Product:  2014-15 Panini Excalibur Basketball box
Break Date:  August 5, 2015
Hit Breakdown:   Three autograph or jersey cards
Summary:  Since I'm toying with the idea of building the Excalibur set, I figured I'd pick up a box when they started showing up at Target. My in-laws were keeping our kids for the night, so when my wife and I went to dinner across the street, I figured it was worth seeing if they were in stock, and I was in luck.

$109 for a box isn't crazy with three guaranteed hits - the box says "three autographs or memorabilia cards per box on average." Fortunately, my box had two autos and a jersey card. There are four packs per box, and a decent amount of cards per pack, so it was a fairly fun break.

I haven't checked to see how I did on set needs yet, but I guess I'm fairly pleased. The first autograph was a Rookie Rampage Nik Stauskas. It's numbered to /349, and has a piece of ball and a two-color jersey swatch (purple and white). Stauskas didn't have a huge year last year but he draft pick and now plays on a horrific Sixers team, so he may be in for a good season - there's certainly not a lot in front of him on the depth chart.

The second auto was Kendall Gill. I have a small side PC of 90s Charlotte Hornets since I grew up a fan of theirs in South Carolina. Unfortunately though, I already have a Gill. The jersey card was also a PC card - Chandler Parsons - so I was pleased with that.


There were four numbered Crusade inserts: two Michael Carter-Williams (die-cut orange /60 and purple /75), a Derrick Favors red (#99/99) and a blue Shaq /149. I was fairly pleased with those. There was also a numbered Dwyane Wade Nobility insert (Silver, /49).  I also pulled one silver parallel per pack (I believe these are the Knights Templar cards?).

Oddly enough, all of the rookies were consolidated to one pack. I don't recall if it was the pack that didn't have the hit in it, and I'm not sure if all boxes are like that. 

I certainly could have done better on the break, but if Stauskas lives up to his #8 overall draft position, then it may turn out OK. And, since I'm doing the set, I'm not as concerned with getting a huge hit. 

Grade for the product:  B+
Grade for the break:  B-

Rookie Rampage Autograph Dual Jerseys /349:  Nik Stauskas
Majectic Marks Signatures:  Kendall Gill
Dunk Co. Jerseys:  Chandler Parsons
Nobility Silver /49:  Dwyane Wade
Crusade Orange Die-Cut /60:  Michael Carter-Williams
Crusade Purple /75:  Michael Carter-Williams
Crusade Red /99:  Derrick Favors
Crusade Blue /149:  Shaquille O'Neal
Knights Templar parallel:  Derrick Rose, Nene, Nicholas Batum, Markel Brown (RC) 
Slam Inc.:  DeMar DeRozan
Knight Court:  James Harden, Kevin Love, Jimmy Butler
Nobility:  Kevin Garnett, Jason Kidd, Dirk Nowitzki
Juggernauts:  Dirk Nowitzki, Kyrie Irving, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar






No comments:

Post a Comment