Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Yet another 2014 Bowman Platinum blaster...with yet another auto

Sport:  Baseball
Product:  2014 Bowman Platinum blaster
Break Date:  August 12, 2014
Hit Breakdown:  No guaranteed hits
Summary:  So I've been filling out the "Hit Breakdown" part of the Bowman Platinum header with "No guaranteed hits," because they don't guarantee any in the box odds. Maybe, though, it should read "one auto." 

I've opened five Bowman Platinum blasters - three at one time, and then a single blaster twice (this one and one previous). Out of those five, I've pulled four autographs.

It's remarkable, actually. The price of a hobby box is currently around $90, give or take, and you get three autographs. I've opened five blasters, to the tune of $95 ($19.99 x 5, minus the 5% off from using my Target Red card), and pulled four. And, they haven't just been base autos, as two were numbered. 

So, back to this blaster – my wife was at Target, and as she's had a remarkable run of picking great boxes, I told her to grab me a BP blaster if there were any. After I got back from my son's Meet The Teacher night, it was waiting for me in the kitchen.

So, I got down to opening. About two packs in, I saw one card turned backwards, which usually means an auto, but it was just a tease, a Chrome Refractor Prospect.

There were decent inserts and parallels in the box - a Mark Appel Top Prospects die-cut, a Wil Myers Cutting Edge Stars, and a few nice parallels.

But, this one was topped off after another card surfaced backwards in the next-to-last pack - and the name on the back read Oscar Taveras. Sure enough, there it was - an on-card Taveras auto.

The only reason I haven't bumped the overall product grade up for these is because what I've experienced is an anomaly – I have a friend who's opened three and gotten nothing.

But, this break, with a Taveras auto and nice parallels and inserts, has to be an A+. Even though Taveras hasn't broken through yet like the world thought he would, he's a PC guy for me, and that makes the break.

Grade for the product:  A
Grade for the break:  A+

Prospect Autographs:  Oscar Taveras
Top Prospects:  Mark Appel, Lance McCullers
Cutting Edge Stars:  Wil Myers
Chrome Prospects:  Hak Ju-Lee, J.P. Crawford
Sapphire Parallel:  Jonathan Schoop (RC)
Gold Parallel:  Jason Heyward, Shelby Miller




No comments:

Post a Comment