Tuesday, February 10, 2015

2015 Topps Baseball Jumbo pack x 2

Sport:  Baseball
Product:  2014 Topps Baseball jumbo
Break Date:  February 7, 2015
Hit Breakdown:   None
Summary:  The past few years I've put the standard Topps baseball set together, but planned to take 2015 off, simply because doing so creates so much base card duplicate volume. But, I'm always interested to see what a new product looks like, so I picked up a couple of jumbo packs this past weekend (along with a pack of '14 Bowman Sterling).

My first thought is that the design is a bit refreshing, considering that for as long as I can remember (at least since I started buying cards again) Topps has gone with a pretty plain white-bordered card front. I'm not sure I'm in love with the circuitry/tech thing going on, but it's definitely a change.

The biggest issue I've had is quality control with the inserts, and I definitely see that being an issue here, as there are a lot of darker borders on the base and inserts.

The two jumbos, though, yielded a fun batch of cards. I'm particularly impressed with the Gallery of Greats subset, which is no shock given it looks like something out of Gypsy Queen, which I'm pretty fond of.

While I didn't hit any home runs out of either pack, there was a scratch-off card in each, and I landed an auto from one of them. Of course, I had to pay over $4 for shipping to get it delivered, and the player comes from a list of a bunch of lower-end guys. But, the auto list overall from '15 Topps is fairly strong, and 2015 Topps jumbo seems to be a decent break by the box.

Grade for the product:  B
Grade for the break:  B

Jumbo 1
Gold /2015:  Dominic Brown
Rainbow Foil:  Corey Dickerson

Archetypes:  Nolan Ryan
Highlight of the Year:  Enos Slaughter
First Pitch:  Agnes McKee


Jumbo 2
Gallery of Greats:  Dominic Brown
Archetypes:  Jackie Robinson
Highlight of the Year:  Catfish Hunter
Rainbow Foil:  Drew Pomeranz
First Pitch:  Biz Markie


No comments:

Post a Comment