Monday, February 9, 2015

2014 Bowman Sterling pack

Sport:  Baseball
Product:  2014 Bowman Sterling pack
Break Date:  February 7, 2015
Hit Breakdown:   Three autographs
Summary:  I took my son and I headed over to the card shop to pick up some supplies, and I figured while we were there he could pick out a pack or two. And, as I have no willpower, I figured I'd pick up a couple myself, and planned on grabbing a few 2015 Topps Jumbo packs.

But, then I saw they had an open box of Sterling out. As I usually don't see higher-end boxes packed out, I figured I'd give one a shot. It was a bit steep at $35 per pack, but with three autos in there, I thought it may be worth it.

2014 Sterling is a nice looking product, but I'm a bit wishy-washy on how I really feel. The card art seems a bit overdone - they went with a tech/space theme, which is a bit cheesy.

And, I probably should have done my research in advance, because all three autos were stickers, which is kind of a bummer. 

I did well enough on the cards, though. For starters, the base card was a purple refractor, numbered to 50, of Addison Russell - one of the top five prospects in the game.

The three autos were decent enough as well. I pulled an Andrew Susac /50, and he got some time in the majors in 2014; of course, he's a catcher and plays the same position as Buster Posey, so...there's that. The other two were base autos, a Dominic Smith, and a Cardinals PC hit - Jack Flaherty.

Was it worth $35? As with any prospect-driven product, that remains to be seen. It was a fun pack to rip, but not sure I'd be in any rush to drop $35 on another pack.

Grade for the product:  B
Grade for the break:  B

Prospects Purple Refractors /50:  Addison Russell
Prospect Autographs Purple Refractors /50:  Andrew Susac
Prospect Autographs
:  Jack Flaherty, Dominic Smith















No comments:

Post a Comment