Friday, November 13, 2015

2015-16 Panini Prestige Plus box

Sport:  Basketball
Product:  2015-16 Panini Prestige
Break Date:  November 11, 2015
Hit Breakdown:   Four autographs or memorabilia
Summary:  I didn't intend to get involved with Prestige basketball this year, but with a strong rookie class, four hits per box, and a $10 off coupon to Target, I really couldn't resist.

First impression of Prestige is it's a decent product. I like that they went to full-bleed action photos this year rather than photos with knocked out backgrounds. But, I think Panini overdid the Prestige logo - it takes up too much real estate on the card. 

And, I think it was a good move to limit the categories of boxes in the product line to just Plus, rather than Plus and Premium like last year.

Overall, I think I did ok. Whenever there's a guarantee for four "autograph or memorabilia" cards and you get three autos, that's generally a plus. But, two of the three autos were fairly pedestrian Panini output - Danny Manning and Ricky Pierce Distinctive Ink. The third auto, though, has potential - a Myles Turner NBA Passport auto, on-card and numbered to /99. I've seen Turner play this year, and he's got potential. The fourth hit was a jersey card, an NBA Materials Stephen Curry; it's plain white jersey, but I guess if you're going to get a plain white jersey card of anyone, Curry's pretty high up there.

The inserts look pretty nice, and at least out of the gate have good resale value. I've listed three on eBay (the Lebron, Durant, and Kevin Love), and all three had bids within a day of listing. And, hitting a parallel of one was nice - the Stat Stars Dwight Howard /99 is a nice-looking card.

The third category of "hit" out of the box are the Bonus Shots. I pulled seven - a green /5 Matt Barnes, three Blue /99, and three Red /199. My only gripe is that for the second year in a row, I've gotten duplicate players out of the Bonus Shots...in this case, a Red and Blue Reggie Jackson. I guess if it was LeBron I wouldn't be complaining, but it happened last year with Gerald Henderson, and I feel like there was another instance that I can't track down in my box break archives. There weren't really any big names out of the parallels, but at least Matt Barnes is a Grizz player (even though I hate him).

Initial impression is I did OK. If Turner turns out to be a good player, then it obviously turns out better down the road. But, at the moment, with no big rookie or vet autos and no big names in the parallel department, this is a solid B/B+ break.

Grade for the product:  B+
Grade for the break:  B

NBA Passport Autographs:  Myles Turner /99
Distinctive Ink:  Danny Manning /149, Ricky Pierce /199
NBA Materials:  Stephen Curry
Bonus Shots Green /5:  Matt Barnes
Bonus Shots Blue /99:  Stanley Johnson (RC), Roy Hibbert, Reggie Jackson
Bonus Shots Red /199:  Reggie Jackson, DeMar DeRozan, Evan Turner
Stat Stars /99:  Dwight Howard
Stat Stars:  Artis Gilmore
Playmakers:  LeBron James
Franchise Favorites:  Bill Russell
Prestigious Picks:  Montrezl Harrell, Stanley Johnson
Prestigious Pros:  Kevin Love, Kevin Durant







No comments:

Post a Comment