Monday, October 19, 2015

2014-15 SPx Basketball Hobby Box

Sport:  Basketball
Product:  2014-15 SPx Basketball
Break Date:  October 16, 2015
Hit Breakdown:   Four hits (autograph/jersey)
Summary:  I got an Amazon.com gift card for my birthday, and after selecting the 13/14 Intrigue box that I knew I'd get, I went looking for something a little different. The allure of pulling a Michael Jordan or LeBron James autograph landed a box of 14/15 Upper Deck SPx Basketball in my mailbox.

I knew hitting a Jordan or Lebron would be a longshot (and obviously I didn't hit either), but the autograph checklist was pretty compelling anyway. After opening the box, I'm pretty happy with the return.

People hate on Upper Deck because they're tired of UD cranking out college-uniformed sets, and I get that gripe. But, with SPx, I think the company did a good job. They pulled out some retro designs for the inserts, which I really liked. The die-cut Stephen Curry and Alonzo Mourning cards I pulled are really sharp. And, the Finite /799 card design is great as well.

There are four hits per box (2/2 auto/jersey cards, with the possibility - I think - of 3 autos and 1 jersey card). I pulled 2 and 2. The two jersey cards were pretty cool - a Corliss Williamson, and then a dual Christian Laettner/Keith Smart.

The two autos, though, were fairly strong (for not getting a HUGE hit). The first I pulled was an Antonio McDyess. It's not a huge name, but I think it's a cool card – I'd rather have that than some draft pick that never pans out.

The second was a great card. It was a rookie, but if you're going to pull a rookie, Zach LaVine is one of the better names. Plus, it was a jersey auto, serial-numbered to /499.

And, I did pull a Jordan base card, so at least I got SOME Jordan content.

Overall, I thought SPx was a fun break at its current price point. Right when it came out it was probably a bit pricey for the content, but at the current rate of under $60 a box, it's a good value in my opinion...if you hit the right cards (always the big "if.")

Grade for the product:  B
Grade for the break:  A-

Box 1
Rookie Autograph Jersey /499:  Zach LaVine
SPx Autographs:  Antonio McDyess
Winning Materials Combos:  Christian Laettner/Keith Smart
Winning Big Materials:  Corliss Williamson
Finite /799: John Stockton, Penny Hardaway, Elvin Hayes
'96 Die-Cut:  Alonzo Mourning
'97 Die-Cut:  Stephen Curry, T.J. Warren (RC)





No comments:

Post a Comment