Thursday, May 28, 2015

2013-14 Panini Intrigue Basketball hobby box

Sport:  Basketball
Product:  2013-14 Panini Intrigue Basketball
Break Date:  May 27, 2015
Hit Breakdown:   Two autographs and two jersey cards
Summary:  I was surfing around on Blowout Cards' website, and decided to price-check Intrigue, since I'm obsessed with it an all. It turned out they had them on sale for $70 (I think) so I ended up picking out my own Father's Day present and bought a box.

No Slam Ink cards - I'm now four boxes in and 0-4 (but with the rarity of the set, no shock). However, after opening the Intriguing Players pack, all was forgotten.

I started opening the pack, and opened them on the Die-Cut card end, and immediately saw there were three die-cuts in there...and knowing that they come two per pack, I knew it was something nice. When I shuffled to the third one, there it was, in nice script font - 1 of 1. 

A Platinum Russell Westbrook - and a beauty at that.

Frankly, after hitting that, the rest of the box would have been gravy. Sadly, though, the rest of the box was pretty bad. I'm not one who opens wax to profit, but man, this was a pretty big turd in the punchbowl.

The two jersey cards were a Nerlens Noel/Archie Goodwin dual and a Draymond Green Top Flight; the latter may have been a nice card but it's sadly a plain white jersey.

The autos weren't much better – Steve Smith and Glen Rice Jr., the latter of whom is already out of the NBA and toiling away in the D-League. And while I love that Intrigue has a good mix of veterans with the rookies, Steve Smith is one of my least favorite players ever.

And, to top it off, the draft pick redemption was Gary Harris, a guy who had a by-and-large forgettable year for the Nuggets. 

So, take away the 1/1, and this box would have been an absolute disaster. The only reason I can grade it a B was the Westbrook; take it away and you're looking at a C- at best.

Grade for the product:  A-

Grade for the break:  B

Intriguing Players Die Cuts Platinum /1:  Russell Westbrook
Autographed Jerseys:  Steve Smith /149
Rookie Autographed Memorabilia:  Glen Rice, Jr. /99
Intriguing Pairs:  Nerlens Noel/Archie Goodwin /199
Top Flight Unis:  Draymond Green /49
'14 Draft X-change:  Gary Harris (#18)
Intriguing Players: Russell Westbrook, Damian Lillard
Intriguing Players Die Cuts: Tony Parker, Derrick Rose
Base: Marc Gasol, Paul George









No comments:

Post a Comment